Membrane Transporter/Ion Channel
Membrane Transporters mediate the movement of ions and molecules via binding and moving the substance across the membrane. There are two main actions of transporter: facilitated diffusion (passive transport) and active transport. Membrane transporters which bind the hydrolysis of ATP to the transport of target molecules are referred to as ATPases. For instance, Na+,K+-ATPases or Na+,K+-pumps are responsible for the transport of Na+ out of and K+ into cells.
Ion channels are pore-forming membrane proteins which allow the flow of ions across the membrane. The ion channels can be broadly grouped into six families including calcium channels, chloride channels, potassium channels, sodium channels, gap junction proteins and porins. Not all ion channels are gated, such as certain type of K+ and Cl– channels, transient receptor potential superfamily of cation channels, the ryanodine receptors and the IP3 receptors, but most Na+, K+, Ca2+ and some Cl– channels are all gated by voltage. Ligand-gated channels are regulated in response to ligand binding (e.g. neurotransmitters signaling). These ligand-gated neurotransmitter receptors are known as ionotropic receptors. Various neurotransmitters couple to ionotropic receptors such as glutamate, acetylcholine, glycine, GABA, and serotonin.
Items 1-10 of 653
- B6071 SpadinSummary: TREK-1 channel inhibitor
- B5356 DPNI-caged-GABASummary: activates GABAA receptor
- C4125 Ethacrynic AcidSummary: Na+/K+/2Cl- cotransporter NKCC2 inhibitor
- C3286 ClopamideSummary: sodium/chloride cotransporters inhibitor
- C3007 Oligomycin ComplexSummary: inhibits mitochondrial membrane-bound ATP synthases
- C5579 Brilliant Blue GSummary: used for protein staining in SDS-PAGE, Blue Native PAGE, and the Bradford Method; selective inhibitor of the P2X purinoceptor channel P2X7
- C5294 Guanidinoethyl sulfonateSummary: competitive glycine receptor antagonist
- C5195 6-(4-Methoxyphenyl)-3-pyridazinamineSummary: GABAA receptor antagonist
- C5065 GSK1016790ASummary: TRPV4 agonist
- C5039 Quinacrine (hydrochloride hydrate)Summary: voltage-dependent sodium channels blocker